Sunday, May 8, 2016

Garden of delights

Every time I go into our yard I make new discoveries. This weekend I found ferns growing behind the old Rhododendrons in the front yard, a mature poetic rose bush along the fence,and a perfect robin's egg. The Azaleas, though in serous need of major pruning, provide some fantastic color. The layering of colors almost looks like a cheap pastel drawing. I have now completed 2 quadrants of the massive leaf removal, basic shrub pruning, and dead branch removal and I feel both proud of what I have done so far, and overwhelmed by the work that remains. I did purchase a powerful leaf blower(so I can be as annoying as the other neighbors) to help with the leaf situation, but it was too wet yesterday to use it. Then there was my massive outbreak of Poison Sumac which attacked my arms, stomach, neck, and face and made me itchy beyond belief. Drugs have been prescribed and taken. Next week I start my vegetable garden.Very excited, I have made a sketch of my dream garden, but for the first season we are going to keep it basic. I have also decided to join the Long Island Horticultural society which meets at the gorgeous Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay, so I get learn more about local gardening issues. And very fortunately next weekend there is a meeting, a lecture on vegetable gardening, and their annual plant sale. WooWoo! I also downloaded a plant Identification app to help me figure out what's what. Results to be determined. And on a completely different note, I set up my hydroponic herb garden Christmas gift in my studio which makes the whole room look like a scene from a bad si-fi film

No comments:

Post a Comment